Skip to main content

Body image

Hello lovelies!
It's been a while! I'm sorry for the lack of posts but it's been a busy few months; I'll catch you up on them in a future post. Today though I want to chat about body image.

Body image. The dictionary definition for this term is as follows; body image is a person's perception of the aesthetics or sexual attractiveness of their own body. Sounds about right doesn't it? However the problem that I have is if body image is about how we perceive ourselves, why should outside influences have an affect upon the image we see looking back at us in the mirror? Surely we should be allowed to see ourselves the way we want to rather than our image being distorted by others expectations and media influences.

The reason I bring this topic into light is because I have been chatting to a few of my friends recently. They want to either lose weight, use make up to 'make themselves look pretty', or go to the gym to get the perfect body. It got me wondering. If they didn't live in the society that we do, would they have the same opinion of themselves?
The media have their idea of the perfect man and woman which influences not only the way we see ourselves but the way we see and judge other people. Their perception is evidently clear when they publish things like this;



Growing up in a world surrounded by articles, magazines and broadcasts filled with segments on how to be the perfect person can place doubt in minds which I believe is wrong. We are all perfect in our own way so what gives others the right to tell us differently?

It's not just the media though, oh no. Bullying occurs worldwide and many of the taunts thrown at people are about the way they look. Just take Gabby's new video (velvetgh0st) on Youtube. She was bullied for years and is still being bullied online with users calling her a 'fat slag' when in reality Gabby is bloody beautiful. She shouldn't have to face comments like this on a daily basis; it makes her feel negatively about her appearance which is unfair as she is the complete opposite of everything the bullies are saying.

So before you judge another based on their body image just think back to the definition. It's about our OWN perception and so if that individual is happy within themselves don't be that person to bring them down and make them doubt their beauty.
The point I want you to take from this is, although I know it's hard to do, is to ignore outside influences and refer back to that definition because really all that matters is how you perceive yourself, anybody who tells you anything different isn't worth your time.

Comment below if you have anything to add on the subject.
I'll post soon (hopefully)
Love LMR xx


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blue Story - why the film shouldn't be banned

Blue Story was released on Friday, a movie about teenagers growing up in London and how they are sucked into gang culture. The film, which has been likened to the hit show Top Boy, has now been banned from all Vue cinema's in light of an incident at one of their venues in Birmingham - a decision that I think is ridiculous. Photo from Rapman's Instagram. While the safety of cinema goers is of course integral, the incident in question has not been directly linked to the film. In addition, many of the people involved are not even old enough to watch the rated 15 movie . Police have not mentioned the movie in any of their inquiries and have not recommended a ban - something the media has not shone as much of a light on. The reason this has got under my skin is that after I watched the movie on Sunday the message I took away from it is that the systematic culture of gangs is heartbreaking and unnecessary. At the heart of this film its creator Rapman is trying to say that, whil

Something a bit personal

Hello lovelies! Today I want to speak about something a bit personal to do with my family so if you aren't interested in that kind of stuff I'll give you warning now to leave! About 2 years ago I lost someone in my life who I looked up to and I was so close to. My brother walked out of my life to start a new one with his girlfriend and ever since I've been kind of lost. I didn't realise how much it had affected me until recently which is why I'm posting this. Mine and my brothers relationship was a close one; I'd tell him everything and visa versa. We of course had the odd spat but that's the same with every relationship, isn't it? I never really knew how much I needed him until he was gone, isn't that always the case? He just left and dropped me like he didn't care and I believe that he doesn't care about me or my family. He hasn't spoken to us in 2 and a bit years and to be quite honest I don't think he ever will. Now whenever som

30 things I want to do before I'm 30

Hi lovelies! I'm turning 18 soon and thought it would be a good idea to write this post and then come back to it when I turn 30 and see if I could tick all of the thing off of the list! Having a check list for me means that I'm more obligated to go ahead with my ideas rather than pushing them to the back of my mind and backing it of them. SO here we go! 30: Have a spontaneous holiday. Go to the airport and just get a plane. I think this would be so much fun! 29: Fall in love. I know very cheesy but if I haven't fallen in love by the time I'm 30 I may as well be Bridget Jones; become a spinster and be eaten by wild Alsatians. If you've seen the film you'd get that reference! 28: Be in a job I love! Listen up future me if you aren't in a job you love leave it now and get one you do! There's no point in working somewhere that doesn't motivate you to get up every morning. 27: Had the courage to start up Youtube again. I posted some videos last year