Skip to main content

America: one month on

Hello lovelies. Yes today I'm talking about that dreaded but highly discussed topic, President Donald Trump. Even as I write this now I still cannot believe that he is the President. One the most important and powerful men in the world, it baffles me. But here we are one month on from his inauguration and what a month it has been. I say that in the most negative way possible. I studied History at A level and one topic we looked at was the progress in America; the women's movement, African American progress and the rights of Americans. I feel as though we've transported back to the late 19th/early 20th century with the changes that Trump has implemented since Obama's departure. It is as though Obama was never President. This great change in history for America, this great progression of having a black President has come crumbling down with the introduction of Trump. Let's run through the last month.

We begin, of course, with the powerful worldwide women's march that took place directly after Trumps Inauguration. This was carried out to demonstrate women's right for equality and fair treatment, mainly needed due to the man who had just been elected saying in the past to grab women by the pussy and that if his daughter was not his daughter he would date her. Now any respectable politician would take notice of this tremendous march and congratulate it on it's support and success but Trump tweeted this about the march: ' Peaceful protests are a hallmark of our democracy. Even if I don't always agree, I recognize the rights of people to express their views.'. Yes okay he does acknowledge the public's right to protest but the thing that troubles me with this tweet is the remark 'Even if I don't always agree'. Is Trump suggesting here that he does not agree that women should have equal rights to men? If this is what he is saying how could the American people have allowed him to gain leadership of their country? A man who sees 50% of his population as a lower grade than the rest is a man not be respected let alone be allowed to lead.
The deliberation of whether this is what Donald Trump meant is solidified to me when we look at the document he signed just three days into becoming President. He signed legislation that indites a global gag rule on all American funded clinics that gives out advice and counsel about abortion. If this doesn't tell you he views women as lower citizens I don't know what will. He, along with a room full of men, signed a document that puts restrictions on women about what they choose to do with their bodies which is totally unacceptable. Imagine if this was the other way around, Clinton got elected and she, along with a room full of women, said that men aren't allowed to have sex unless they are planning a family to lower population. Do you think Trump would've been okay with this? No! Because that issue concerns men, the citizens he cares about. This is just the tip of the iceberg with Trump's changes too.


Photo credit:https://timedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/trump_wong-2.jpg?w=1100&quality=85

The big controversy that Trump has caused over the last month was the so called 'Muslim ban'. Donald Trump did not explicitly call it this but he chose 7 countries where Islam is the highest religion and banned the citizens from travelling to America. Now Obama had concocted this list and had put a 'ban' on the countries before (thought I'd mention it before the Trump supporters attacked me) but Obama only restricted travel when the government were not complying with fair rules and regulations. It was a diplomatic decision not a racial attack on the people. Trump has indited himself again through his twitter account in this issue by saying:'Everybody is arguing whether or not it is a BAN. Call it what you want, it is about keeping bad people (with bad intentions) out of country!'. Now here he is branding Muslims as bad people with bad intentions, how can he justify labeling millions of peaceful and respectful religious believers with this unfair judgement? Yes some terrorist attacks have been carried out by Muslims but this is a very small minority of the religion and other attacks have been carried out by other religions but Trump does not comment on these. He is a clear racist.

Now this 'ban' has been blocked by the supreme court and this is where it gets interesting for Trump. Many people have commented saying that Trump is not educated in politics and is well, quite frankly, a buffoon when it comes to politics and this court ruling highlights this for me. He reiterates again and again on Twitter that he'll see them in court, he's tweeted this countless times, when will he realise that they are the court? And also he appealed and lost so when will he realise that he's fighting a losing battle? The voters that he appealed too by suggesting a building a wall between America and Mexico, the racists and bigots of America, are not within Congress or the Supreme Court. They see a religion and thousands of innocent people being discriminated against and they of course are not going to stand for that. All Trump sees is that he is President, he thinks what he says goes, but in American politics he has to work in harmony with congress and the supreme court who hold as much power as he does. It seems as though he is blind to this fact and just keeps spouting nonsense.

Now spouting nonsense leads me onto my final Trump failure of his presidency so far: FAKE NEWS. The fake news that he constantly refers to and, has even labelled the American people's greatest enemy, is typically any news that speaks about him in a negative light. So if he were to read this post he would label it that. To show how incredibly wrong he is about this topic, he keeps promoting Fox News who are known for being corrupt and reporting falsities. Furthermore America is grounded on freedom of speech, so if a columnist or magazine in general have a different take on something that Trump has said or promised, they are well within their right to publish their thoughts. By labeling it fake news he is effectively trying to control the media and control what the American people read. In turn controlling his image.


Photo credit:http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/dam/assets/160224112545-trump-nevada-victory-speech-1024x576.jpg

America a month on is in a catastrophic state. I thought as President, Trump would issue these changes over the four years he's in power, not just all in one month. If this is what he can do in one month imagine what he will do in a year. In four years. It's chilling to even think about. God save you America.

LMR

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blue Story - why the film shouldn't be banned

Blue Story was released on Friday, a movie about teenagers growing up in London and how they are sucked into gang culture. The film, which has been likened to the hit show Top Boy, has now been banned from all Vue cinema's in light of an incident at one of their venues in Birmingham - a decision that I think is ridiculous. Photo from Rapman's Instagram. While the safety of cinema goers is of course integral, the incident in question has not been directly linked to the film. In addition, many of the people involved are not even old enough to watch the rated 15 movie . Police have not mentioned the movie in any of their inquiries and have not recommended a ban - something the media has not shone as much of a light on. The reason this has got under my skin is that after I watched the movie on Sunday the message I took away from it is that the systematic culture of gangs is heartbreaking and unnecessary. At the heart of this film its creator Rapman is trying to say that, whil

Something a bit personal

Hello lovelies! Today I want to speak about something a bit personal to do with my family so if you aren't interested in that kind of stuff I'll give you warning now to leave! About 2 years ago I lost someone in my life who I looked up to and I was so close to. My brother walked out of my life to start a new one with his girlfriend and ever since I've been kind of lost. I didn't realise how much it had affected me until recently which is why I'm posting this. Mine and my brothers relationship was a close one; I'd tell him everything and visa versa. We of course had the odd spat but that's the same with every relationship, isn't it? I never really knew how much I needed him until he was gone, isn't that always the case? He just left and dropped me like he didn't care and I believe that he doesn't care about me or my family. He hasn't spoken to us in 2 and a bit years and to be quite honest I don't think he ever will. Now whenever som

Christmas is here!

Hi all! Christmas is upon us and I absolutely love this time of year! Everyone is happy and the Christmas spirit allows everyone to be kind towards each other. Working in retail means that I have to work on Christmas Eve but it's one of my highlights. It gets me in the Christmas mood and I also get first look at the Boxing Day bargains which is great as I work in Superdrug! The look I usually go for around this season is wearing more purple and navy colours which this year has been emphasised as I've dyed my hair purple. I needed a change; I had my hair ombre for the best part of a year and I needed something to make me stand out and to boost my confidence again. I've been feeling really self conscious lately and this was exactly what I needed to get myself back to myself again! The reception for it has been positive and I have been more confident so it worked (yay!). Here's what it looks like, let me know what you think! I hope you all have a wonderful Christma