Skip to main content

Thirteen Reasons Why: Season 2

It has been a long while since the last time I posted on here. I have been facing some writers block along with completing my degree, but I'm back now. Now I have free time, not chained to my laptop writing endless essays, I've binge watched a lot of TV. The most recent series that I have watched is Thirteen Reasons Why and I have some opinions on the latest season that I wanted to share. If you have not watched it yet please do not read this as this post will contain a lot of spoilers.


I want to begin with the only big negative that I took away from this season. The season concludes with Tyler arriving at the school with an array of guns ready to shoot his fellow classmates. The process in which they showed Tyler's progression to get to this state of mind was well acted and written, making you feel empathy for Tyler and willing him not to go through with his hideous plan. However, the aspect that the creators did not shed a light on is how Tyler came into possession of the guns in the first place. Throughout both seasons we have been aware that Tyler owns guns but it is never displayed how he purchased them. Gun control in America is a serious issue and by not discussing this the show has missed a big opportunity to raise awareness on a big stage.Given all the school shootings that have already taken place in America this year you would think that they would have been conscious enough to stress the importance of restricting gun ownership but sadly not. Hopefully this will be addressed if they make a third season.



There may not be a third season though. Yes, the creators have left the second season open ended so there is potential if Netflix decide to invest, but there has been a huge uproar surrounding the content and graphic nature it was displayed in this season which may hamper any further development.I do understand where these people are coming from. If you are not in the right head space to watch this sensitive topic it could be very triggering and harmful. However, I disagree with them that this show should not be made. The show has learnt from its past mistakes and put a warning at the beginning of the episodes and links for help at the end of them. It is a restricted 18 show and the audience is aware of the content that this show displays so if you are triggered by these kind of subjects you know not to click play. I personally have learnt a lot from this season and I love that it is creating discussion around topics that many shy away from.

I have been lucky enough to not be personally touched by suicide. So the only hurt I have felt from this is when Linkin Park's front man Chester Bennington committed suicide. Of course it was nothing in comparison to what thousands of people have felt when their loved ones have died in this way but this is my only connection. When learning of the news I listened to the bands song called 'One more light'. It's message is of how everyone is important and matters and I feel this season of Thirteen reasons why had this message behind it. From Clays speech to Tyler, to Mr. Porter's awakening to how he should help children, to the countless women in the courtroom speaking about their experiences of sexual abuse. All of this was highlighting how each voice has a meaning and worth. Many people are saying that by including Hannah in this season people contemplating killing themselves may believe that they will live on which is a damaging message to send. However, I think by including her, those of us who have no idea what depression is like or how it affects you, get as insight into that. Obviously we do not get the whole picture and I'm not saying I now understand this state of mental health, but Hannah's perspective and voice here allowed me to view suicide in a new light. Just to get a glimpse at the hurt Hannah felt made me so emotional and this impact will not leave me for quite some time.



This show is far from perfect, it needs to learn some lessons on presentation, but the graphic and real way it depicts its topics is needed. The bullying, sexual abuse, self harm and all of the rest of the topics are things so many people are going through right now.By showing it graphically the show does not back away from the reality of the topics. It makes people who are ignorant to these problems wake up and realise how devastating they are to so many. I hope there is a third season so they can further this message and reach more people who can prevent what happened to Hannah, Alex, Jessica, Justin, Nina and Clay from happening to others in the real world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blue Story - why the film shouldn't be banned

Blue Story was released on Friday, a movie about teenagers growing up in London and how they are sucked into gang culture. The film, which has been likened to the hit show Top Boy, has now been banned from all Vue cinema's in light of an incident at one of their venues in Birmingham - a decision that I think is ridiculous. Photo from Rapman's Instagram. While the safety of cinema goers is of course integral, the incident in question has not been directly linked to the film. In addition, many of the people involved are not even old enough to watch the rated 15 movie . Police have not mentioned the movie in any of their inquiries and have not recommended a ban - something the media has not shone as much of a light on. The reason this has got under my skin is that after I watched the movie on Sunday the message I took away from it is that the systematic culture of gangs is heartbreaking and unnecessary. At the heart of this film its creator Rapman is trying to say that, whil

Something a bit personal

Hello lovelies! Today I want to speak about something a bit personal to do with my family so if you aren't interested in that kind of stuff I'll give you warning now to leave! About 2 years ago I lost someone in my life who I looked up to and I was so close to. My brother walked out of my life to start a new one with his girlfriend and ever since I've been kind of lost. I didn't realise how much it had affected me until recently which is why I'm posting this. Mine and my brothers relationship was a close one; I'd tell him everything and visa versa. We of course had the odd spat but that's the same with every relationship, isn't it? I never really knew how much I needed him until he was gone, isn't that always the case? He just left and dropped me like he didn't care and I believe that he doesn't care about me or my family. He hasn't spoken to us in 2 and a bit years and to be quite honest I don't think he ever will. Now whenever som

Christmas is here!

Hi all! Christmas is upon us and I absolutely love this time of year! Everyone is happy and the Christmas spirit allows everyone to be kind towards each other. Working in retail means that I have to work on Christmas Eve but it's one of my highlights. It gets me in the Christmas mood and I also get first look at the Boxing Day bargains which is great as I work in Superdrug! The look I usually go for around this season is wearing more purple and navy colours which this year has been emphasised as I've dyed my hair purple. I needed a change; I had my hair ombre for the best part of a year and I needed something to make me stand out and to boost my confidence again. I've been feeling really self conscious lately and this was exactly what I needed to get myself back to myself again! The reception for it has been positive and I have been more confident so it worked (yay!). Here's what it looks like, let me know what you think! I hope you all have a wonderful Christma