Skip to main content

July.

Every time I have posted on my blog about a good time in my life it has revolved around a boyfriend. I always preach about being independent etc but my life in the past has only ever felt completely happy if I was with a boy. Now I admit that I do miss being in a relationship (this doesn't mean I miss my ex, he is an idiot) but this last month has proved to me that I can be unapologetically happy alone. July 2018 has been the best month of my life, I have achieved the goals and dreams I had always set out to do and I have done that on my own, of course with help of family and friends, but it's a personal achievement and that's a fact that I am so proud of. I've always had a plan for my life and I have ticked off two major things from that list in July. The first was visiting my dream destination: New York City. Now I have my parents to thank for this one, it was their 21st birthday present to me and let me tell you it smashed my expectation! And the second was graduating from University. A lot of people told me growing up that getting a degree was a little out of my reach but I proved them all wrong. I hope you enjoy this post and share with me in this bubble of happiness that just wont seem to pop.


NYC: I have known that I was going to New York City since January. I have been so excited ever since and I've been planning what we would be doing every day when we are there (much to my dads delight- he would have just turned up and walked around haha). A week before we left I had created an itinerary and I am happy to report that we ticked everything off. I have two favourite days, I know I'm greedy, the first being the first full day that we were there. The plan for that day was: friends building, flat iron building, to touch the Empire State ( we went to the top another day) and the friends fountain in central park. This day was so lovely as I got to be a massive tourist and dance in front of the fountain to pretend I was on friends but it was also so nice because we could just explore the city. On this day we had nothing planned so we could just relax and walk where we wanted when we wanted. It was so interesting to see everyday life in America and to experience their supersize lifestyle. My second favourite day was the Thursday. We went to Rockefeller center, walked the high line, Grand Central Station, and we saw Chicago on Broadway. This day I could pretend to be Serena Van Der Woodsen, embrace by favourite musical again and have the best view of my absolute favourite building in NYC (see picture below). The whole trip was amazing but here are a few snaps from these two special days:






My Mums favourite day was the Statue of Liberty day. We booked to go to the top of the crown, something I didn't even realise we could do until we booked the trip, it was so hot when we got up there and me and my dad kept bashing our heads on Lady Liberty's head haha. Here are a few snaps from that day:























My Dads favourite day was his birthday (no surprise there haha). We did tick a lot of things off on that day: we took a tour of NYC by helicopter, we walked along the Brooklyn Bridge and we saw The Lion King on Broadway. My parents loved the show and so did I but after all the hype that I was bombarded with about it it wasn't as good as I was expecting.




With this New York came to an end but we weren't too sad to be coming home as a few days later my graduation was happening. I was unable to have my ceremony at the same time as my housemates as the ones who do English had their ceremony in the morning and Jen, who did business, had her graduation on a separate day. On the morning of graduation I went to campus to take some photos with my friends and wish them well, I was a little jealous that they all got to be together but as my ceremony came around I just embraced every aspect. As soon as I got my robe on I was buzzing. The first thing I did was collect my degree. To actually physically hold it in my hands felt like such a relief! It was a bit touch and go whether I was going to get the degree I wanted to achieve but thankfully I did and so to see it printed and official was amazing! As my ceremony began, who I thought was the vice chancellor, started to speak and I began to get nervous. Then he mentioned that this wasn't his day job and then I realised who was stood in front of me giving the address: John Sopel. Now to many of you that name doesn't mean anything but he's the North America editor for the BBC- literally my dream job- so I was thrilled but I have to admit it did add to the nerves slightly! My chat with him was so lovely. The day was everything I wanted it to be and it's the proudest I have ever been for myself. Here are a few shots from the day.























Throughout July I also had a trip to Surrey to go to Ascot with my friends which was amazing. I caught up with loads of my home friends and I've settled back into country life in Wiltshire. I'm now so excited to start my MA in September, especially now I have proven that I can be independent and happy at the same time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blue Story - why the film shouldn't be banned

Blue Story was released on Friday, a movie about teenagers growing up in London and how they are sucked into gang culture. The film, which has been likened to the hit show Top Boy, has now been banned from all Vue cinema's in light of an incident at one of their venues in Birmingham - a decision that I think is ridiculous. Photo from Rapman's Instagram. While the safety of cinema goers is of course integral, the incident in question has not been directly linked to the film. In addition, many of the people involved are not even old enough to watch the rated 15 movie . Police have not mentioned the movie in any of their inquiries and have not recommended a ban - something the media has not shone as much of a light on. The reason this has got under my skin is that after I watched the movie on Sunday the message I took away from it is that the systematic culture of gangs is heartbreaking and unnecessary. At the heart of this film its creator Rapman is trying to say that, whil

Something a bit personal

Hello lovelies! Today I want to speak about something a bit personal to do with my family so if you aren't interested in that kind of stuff I'll give you warning now to leave! About 2 years ago I lost someone in my life who I looked up to and I was so close to. My brother walked out of my life to start a new one with his girlfriend and ever since I've been kind of lost. I didn't realise how much it had affected me until recently which is why I'm posting this. Mine and my brothers relationship was a close one; I'd tell him everything and visa versa. We of course had the odd spat but that's the same with every relationship, isn't it? I never really knew how much I needed him until he was gone, isn't that always the case? He just left and dropped me like he didn't care and I believe that he doesn't care about me or my family. He hasn't spoken to us in 2 and a bit years and to be quite honest I don't think he ever will. Now whenever som

Christmas is here!

Hi all! Christmas is upon us and I absolutely love this time of year! Everyone is happy and the Christmas spirit allows everyone to be kind towards each other. Working in retail means that I have to work on Christmas Eve but it's one of my highlights. It gets me in the Christmas mood and I also get first look at the Boxing Day bargains which is great as I work in Superdrug! The look I usually go for around this season is wearing more purple and navy colours which this year has been emphasised as I've dyed my hair purple. I needed a change; I had my hair ombre for the best part of a year and I needed something to make me stand out and to boost my confidence again. I've been feeling really self conscious lately and this was exactly what I needed to get myself back to myself again! The reception for it has been positive and I have been more confident so it worked (yay!). Here's what it looks like, let me know what you think! I hope you all have a wonderful Christma