Skip to main content

Game of Thrones obliterates stereotypes

Okay Game of Thrones is a fictional story with fantasy, magic and monsters, but developers - David Benioff and D. B. Weiss - and author George RR Martin managed to represent both men and women more of a real way than any ‘real’ portrayal on screen before it.

Warning: spoilers ahead!



Picture: Unsplash

The show has always highlighted men and women in honest lights, with no one being purely good or bad, but The Battle of Winterfell really emphasised a key message - stereotypes are a load of old rubbish.

Featured were a range of tough,brave, emotional, strong, empathetic people. Each person displayed a range of emotions and so everyone watching at home could relate to at least one character - highlighting the depth of representation in the episode. Here are a few characters that stood out to me to be breaking down the stereotype barrier

Lyanna Mormont: one of the most feminist figures I’ve seen on TV, absolutely fronts up. She’s strong and a true leader, unlike stereotypical portrayals of women in power being weak and hysterical. She’s a factor in saving Winterfell as well due to her killing the massive giant - a brave move considering she knew she was about the die. She was an amazing character and a great role model for all watching.

Samwell Tarly. While representation for brave men shone through in Ser Jorah, Jaime Lannister, Tormund and others Samwell highlighted a sensitive side that humanised scenes in the show. Sam showing emotion matched how the audience were feeling and having a man doing this is so powerful as no one - apart from meme makers - criticised or ridiculed Sam for showing his feelings. In this day and age this figure being on such a big stage is crucial for men everywhere.

The Hound- a character that’s slightly underrated with the impact he has on the show. One of the toughest warriors but when fire was introduced, the one thing he’s scared of, Glegane began to falter. Empowered to save his friend Arya, he fought on highlighting another sensitive character but in a slightly different way to Sam. Sam was mimicking the audience but The Hound faces his fears and demonstrated you can achieve things.

Finally, the bad ass that is Arya. When she appeared through the darkness to kill the Night King I actually began to cry. I thought all hope was lost and all my favourite characters were about to die. For once it wasn’t a man coming to the rescue -everyone believed Jon Snow would be the saviour - but a strong, independent woman that doesn’t need a man but wants one. Her scene the night before with Gendry was criticised by many but I thought it was extremely well handled and consent was at the forefront -kudos to Arya and Gendry for that one. Then on top of this she is the one to save the world. But our saviour was not only brave and tough, she displayed fear and worry for her life. Humanising her still allowed the audience to relate to her. For me this action summed up GoT. Yes it has murder, destruction and sexual abuse within it but it also displays the correct way of doing things and they aren’t afraid to challenge the audience.

A woman saved Winterfell. I don’t think I’ve witnessed a better role model for everyone on screen as Arya (you know aside from the murder).

Can men cry? Hell yes. Can girls fight? Hell yes. Can you be exactly who you want to be regardless of your gender? Hell yes.

Bravo GoT you have well and truly smashed representation

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blue Story - why the film shouldn't be banned

Blue Story was released on Friday, a movie about teenagers growing up in London and how they are sucked into gang culture. The film, which has been likened to the hit show Top Boy, has now been banned from all Vue cinema's in light of an incident at one of their venues in Birmingham - a decision that I think is ridiculous. Photo from Rapman's Instagram. While the safety of cinema goers is of course integral, the incident in question has not been directly linked to the film. In addition, many of the people involved are not even old enough to watch the rated 15 movie . Police have not mentioned the movie in any of their inquiries and have not recommended a ban - something the media has not shone as much of a light on. The reason this has got under my skin is that after I watched the movie on Sunday the message I took away from it is that the systematic culture of gangs is heartbreaking and unnecessary. At the heart of this film its creator Rapman is trying to say that, whil

Christmas is here!

Hi all! Christmas is upon us and I absolutely love this time of year! Everyone is happy and the Christmas spirit allows everyone to be kind towards each other. Working in retail means that I have to work on Christmas Eve but it's one of my highlights. It gets me in the Christmas mood and I also get first look at the Boxing Day bargains which is great as I work in Superdrug! The look I usually go for around this season is wearing more purple and navy colours which this year has been emphasised as I've dyed my hair purple. I needed a change; I had my hair ombre for the best part of a year and I needed something to make me stand out and to boost my confidence again. I've been feeling really self conscious lately and this was exactly what I needed to get myself back to myself again! The reception for it has been positive and I have been more confident so it worked (yay!). Here's what it looks like, let me know what you think! I hope you all have a wonderful Christma

Something a bit personal

Hello lovelies! Today I want to speak about something a bit personal to do with my family so if you aren't interested in that kind of stuff I'll give you warning now to leave! About 2 years ago I lost someone in my life who I looked up to and I was so close to. My brother walked out of my life to start a new one with his girlfriend and ever since I've been kind of lost. I didn't realise how much it had affected me until recently which is why I'm posting this. Mine and my brothers relationship was a close one; I'd tell him everything and visa versa. We of course had the odd spat but that's the same with every relationship, isn't it? I never really knew how much I needed him until he was gone, isn't that always the case? He just left and dropped me like he didn't care and I believe that he doesn't care about me or my family. He hasn't spoken to us in 2 and a bit years and to be quite honest I don't think he ever will. Now whenever som