Skip to main content

My English degree

Hello lovelies!
Just a quick note to say thank you for the amazing response to last weeks post. I have received many messages of support telling me to write what I want to write about which is what I am going to do from this post forward. So to start this new path of my writing I'm going to write about my English degree.

English has always been my passion and so when I received my A level results I was disappointed. I got a B in English but I was aiming for an A as my dream university, the University of Exeter, had that requirement. Due to my result I am attending my second choice uni- the University of Southampton and I have to say my grade was a blessing in disguise! I absolutely adore Southampton and all the people I have met here, especially my flat mates. So far my degree has been a bit up and down.

Last semester I has three modules as any degree does. I took; Narrative and Culture, Old English and Poetic Language. I loved Poetic language because it was something I was familiar with although in some of my seminars I did embarrass myself by speaking before thinking! My seminar tutor was amazing as well, me and my flat mate both had him and he helped so much and was so cool, good ol Bev! I really did enjoy the module.

Narrative and Culture was based all around novels and how we interpret them. I did enjoy writing the essays for this module however I found the seminars really difficult. I had many people in them that were much smarter than me and I felt like I didn't want to speak when I was there just in case I said something silly and they all judged me for it. This module was more challenging but I think I like that aspect of it, to challenge myself is something I find enjoyable because if I'm not challenged I get bored and procrastinate! So overall the module was good but I did feel a bit inferior to my peers.

And then we come to Old English. The module from hell. I said I liked to be challenged but this module took it a step too far. In every lecture all the information went straight over my head and in my first assignment I didn't do that great. It knocked my confidence because I spoke to others who got much better marks than me and I put myself down for it. The 48 hour take away exam was a massive challenge. Although the questions were insanely difficult I answered them the best I could and I just hope I pass! But on reflection I'm glad that I have picked a module like this in year 1 because I now know in years 2 and 3, the years which count towards my degree, not to choose modules like this one!

I'm looking forward to getting stuck back into lectures and seminars though, because of exam season they've stopped for a while and semester 2 starts on my birthday! (25th Jan!! Much excite). I have achieved my dream of getting to university and I'm loving it!


A note I'd like to add is about my birthday. It's going to be a weird one this year because it'll be the first away from home. I don't really know how to feel about it but I'm sure it'll be amazing! My plans as of yet is to have cocktails and go out with my flat mates! All day I have lectures so it'll be something to look forward to and my present this year are my Busted tickets that my friend bought a few months ago. I know some may view it as a bit childish but I cannot wait to see Charlie! I will be doing a blog post all about it so keep your eyes open for that!

I hope you all have a great week!
Love LMR x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blue Story - why the film shouldn't be banned

Blue Story was released on Friday, a movie about teenagers growing up in London and how they are sucked into gang culture. The film, which has been likened to the hit show Top Boy, has now been banned from all Vue cinema's in light of an incident at one of their venues in Birmingham - a decision that I think is ridiculous. Photo from Rapman's Instagram. While the safety of cinema goers is of course integral, the incident in question has not been directly linked to the film. In addition, many of the people involved are not even old enough to watch the rated 15 movie . Police have not mentioned the movie in any of their inquiries and have not recommended a ban - something the media has not shone as much of a light on. The reason this has got under my skin is that after I watched the movie on Sunday the message I took away from it is that the systematic culture of gangs is heartbreaking and unnecessary. At the heart of this film its creator Rapman is trying to say that, whil

Something a bit personal

Hello lovelies! Today I want to speak about something a bit personal to do with my family so if you aren't interested in that kind of stuff I'll give you warning now to leave! About 2 years ago I lost someone in my life who I looked up to and I was so close to. My brother walked out of my life to start a new one with his girlfriend and ever since I've been kind of lost. I didn't realise how much it had affected me until recently which is why I'm posting this. Mine and my brothers relationship was a close one; I'd tell him everything and visa versa. We of course had the odd spat but that's the same with every relationship, isn't it? I never really knew how much I needed him until he was gone, isn't that always the case? He just left and dropped me like he didn't care and I believe that he doesn't care about me or my family. He hasn't spoken to us in 2 and a bit years and to be quite honest I don't think he ever will. Now whenever som

Christmas is here!

Hi all! Christmas is upon us and I absolutely love this time of year! Everyone is happy and the Christmas spirit allows everyone to be kind towards each other. Working in retail means that I have to work on Christmas Eve but it's one of my highlights. It gets me in the Christmas mood and I also get first look at the Boxing Day bargains which is great as I work in Superdrug! The look I usually go for around this season is wearing more purple and navy colours which this year has been emphasised as I've dyed my hair purple. I needed a change; I had my hair ombre for the best part of a year and I needed something to make me stand out and to boost my confidence again. I've been feeling really self conscious lately and this was exactly what I needed to get myself back to myself again! The reception for it has been positive and I have been more confident so it worked (yay!). Here's what it looks like, let me know what you think! I hope you all have a wonderful Christma