Skip to main content

Some film reviews

Hi lovelies!
This week as you know is half term and for once I've actually had a social life! I went to see two films this week with my friends; Fifty shades of Grey and Kingsman: the secret service. I thought I'd do a little review on them both and see if you agree if you have seen either film.

I'll start with Fifty shades. I have been so buzzed to see this film ever since I heard they were making it. I loved the books and I really wanted the film to live up to my expectations. It kind of did. I'll go through the positives first. Dakota Johnson was amazing as Anastasia! She projected the exact image I had for the character; vulnerable yet ballsy (excuse the pun). I thought she executed the role perfectly. Another positive is the aesthetics of the film. It was beautifully shot and I loved that at the start everything was grey, it was a nice touch. The sex scenes also weren't awkward or unnecessary, I was worried that they would just be thrown in but they were well woven into the story. Jamie Dornan as Christian is one thing that I'm unsure about. Yes he definitely has the looks, the body and at times in the film you can sense how protective he feels about Ana. However in the book I feel he's much more expressive. I don't know if this is the fault of Jamie or the director but I just wanted him to show more of the real Christian (Ana changes him from someone who just wants sex to someone who develops feelings and wants more) as it does in the book. I'm not saying Jamie's performance was bad, he's a great actor and you do fall in love with in the film, I just think he needs to be more expressive and intriguing.
The one thing that really did frustrate me was the scene that they left out! (spoilers from the book coming up!) In the book when Christian spanks Ana for the first time he leaves immediately afterwards and Ana is left emotionally hurt. She emails him to tell him so and that she wishes he would stay and then he returns to her house and stays the night. In the film he leaves and she cries and that's it! I loved that part of the book as it's the pivotal moment where you see the character change within Christian and start to think that there might be a future for the couple. Overall though it was a good film and I can't wait to see the second and third ones! I would give this film a 7/10.

Kingsman: the secret service was spectacular! The plot was gripping, the cast choice was star studded and outstanding and the graphics were realistic. The whole film was good from start to finish but I do have 3 favourite things. The first is the affect right at the beginning of the film where a building is fired at and the shrapnel from it turns into beginning credits/titles. I thought that was really clever and looked tidy and professional. The best thing about the film was the casting. Big names such as Colin Firth, Michael Caine and Samuel L Jackson as expected did a great job but for me the best performance was by Taron Egerton who plays the protagonist Eggsy. He made the film entertaining and witty, he was the perfect actor for the part. He's relatable as a character and I think that draws you into the movie more. My third favourite thing about this movie was the balance between action and comedy. In a common action movie the comedy is either tacky or there is a lack of it but in Kingsman I thought it was well timed and hysterical. The only bad part of the film is that in the first five minutes I got a bit lost and it was a bit slow but once I got past that it was incredible! I would give this film 9/10!

Well that's my thoughts on them. What did you think? Let me know down in the comments below!
Love LMR xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blue Story - why the film shouldn't be banned

Blue Story was released on Friday, a movie about teenagers growing up in London and how they are sucked into gang culture. The film, which has been likened to the hit show Top Boy, has now been banned from all Vue cinema's in light of an incident at one of their venues in Birmingham - a decision that I think is ridiculous. Photo from Rapman's Instagram. While the safety of cinema goers is of course integral, the incident in question has not been directly linked to the film. In addition, many of the people involved are not even old enough to watch the rated 15 movie . Police have not mentioned the movie in any of their inquiries and have not recommended a ban - something the media has not shone as much of a light on. The reason this has got under my skin is that after I watched the movie on Sunday the message I took away from it is that the systematic culture of gangs is heartbreaking and unnecessary. At the heart of this film its creator Rapman is trying to say that, whil

Something a bit personal

Hello lovelies! Today I want to speak about something a bit personal to do with my family so if you aren't interested in that kind of stuff I'll give you warning now to leave! About 2 years ago I lost someone in my life who I looked up to and I was so close to. My brother walked out of my life to start a new one with his girlfriend and ever since I've been kind of lost. I didn't realise how much it had affected me until recently which is why I'm posting this. Mine and my brothers relationship was a close one; I'd tell him everything and visa versa. We of course had the odd spat but that's the same with every relationship, isn't it? I never really knew how much I needed him until he was gone, isn't that always the case? He just left and dropped me like he didn't care and I believe that he doesn't care about me or my family. He hasn't spoken to us in 2 and a bit years and to be quite honest I don't think he ever will. Now whenever som

Christmas is here!

Hi all! Christmas is upon us and I absolutely love this time of year! Everyone is happy and the Christmas spirit allows everyone to be kind towards each other. Working in retail means that I have to work on Christmas Eve but it's one of my highlights. It gets me in the Christmas mood and I also get first look at the Boxing Day bargains which is great as I work in Superdrug! The look I usually go for around this season is wearing more purple and navy colours which this year has been emphasised as I've dyed my hair purple. I needed a change; I had my hair ombre for the best part of a year and I needed something to make me stand out and to boost my confidence again. I've been feeling really self conscious lately and this was exactly what I needed to get myself back to myself again! The reception for it has been positive and I have been more confident so it worked (yay!). Here's what it looks like, let me know what you think! I hope you all have a wonderful Christma