Skip to main content

Bridget Jones's Baby- The Review

Hello lovelies, this week I went to see the new Bridget Jones movie for my friends birthday. I didn't go into the cinema with high hopes, I knew the plot of the book and so I knew the plot for the movie was completely different. This bugged me immensely because the books follows such an interesting and funny story line that I couldn't understand why they changed it. But, with this considered, I was pleasantly surprised by this movie.



As always we will begin with the positives of this movie. Despite Renee Zellweger's appearance being completely different of that of the two previous films she slots right back into the role of Bridget. She is still the clumsy, embarrassing and relatable Bridget we all know and love. Her performance was everything that the audience is looking for.



The leading men in this movie, Colin Firth (Mark Darcy) and Patrick Dempsey (Jack Qwant), do not disappoint either. Firth reprises the role of the handsome gentleman and is the lovable character we all remember. Of course Hugh Grant turned down the opportunity to be in this movie and I was a little apprehensive as to whether or not they'd be able to recreate the chemistry that Grant and Firth had as opposing love rivals. However, Patrick Dempsey is the perfect replacement. Firth and Dempsey bounce off each other and I think the only thing that was missing was a fight scene. I loved those hilarious ones in the first two films.























Following on from those two great characters comes another; Miranda. She's so refreshing and modern. She reminds me of a 'trendy' mum, she has the best advice and she really sticks by Bridget throughout everthing. Her modern aspect is another thing I loved about this movie, although Bridget does have one technical glitch, the movie doesn't do the stereotypical thing of 'because they're older now they don't understand technology'. It's so refreshing for a film to embrace the fact that people can evolve with the time.



I only have a few negatives about this film. One of the things I adored about the first two movies in this franchise was the friendship element. Although Tom, Shazza and Jude do feature in the film, the closeness and funniness of their friendship didn't shine through, I was very disappointed by this. Of course they have introduced the element of having Miranda as the new friend but I loved the group dynamic that the others had in the first few films and for me this was a loss for the film.

The only other negative that I have for this film is the character arc for Jack Qwant. Don't get me wrong, Patrick Dempsey does a superb job, but the way they try to turn the audience's view of this character is swift and clumsy. At the beginning of the film you don't know who you want to win Bridget's heart but by the middle/ end it's as if they want to make the decision for you which takes the mystery and desire out of the equation for the audience.

Overall this is a funny, light hearted film. If you don't read the books you won't be disappointed by the plot or the ending of Bridget's story. I'd give it an 8/10.

Love LMR.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blue Story - why the film shouldn't be banned

Blue Story was released on Friday, a movie about teenagers growing up in London and how they are sucked into gang culture. The film, which has been likened to the hit show Top Boy, has now been banned from all Vue cinema's in light of an incident at one of their venues in Birmingham - a decision that I think is ridiculous. Photo from Rapman's Instagram. While the safety of cinema goers is of course integral, the incident in question has not been directly linked to the film. In addition, many of the people involved are not even old enough to watch the rated 15 movie . Police have not mentioned the movie in any of their inquiries and have not recommended a ban - something the media has not shone as much of a light on. The reason this has got under my skin is that after I watched the movie on Sunday the message I took away from it is that the systematic culture of gangs is heartbreaking and unnecessary. At the heart of this film its creator Rapman is trying to say that, whil

Something a bit personal

Hello lovelies! Today I want to speak about something a bit personal to do with my family so if you aren't interested in that kind of stuff I'll give you warning now to leave! About 2 years ago I lost someone in my life who I looked up to and I was so close to. My brother walked out of my life to start a new one with his girlfriend and ever since I've been kind of lost. I didn't realise how much it had affected me until recently which is why I'm posting this. Mine and my brothers relationship was a close one; I'd tell him everything and visa versa. We of course had the odd spat but that's the same with every relationship, isn't it? I never really knew how much I needed him until he was gone, isn't that always the case? He just left and dropped me like he didn't care and I believe that he doesn't care about me or my family. He hasn't spoken to us in 2 and a bit years and to be quite honest I don't think he ever will. Now whenever som

Christmas is here!

Hi all! Christmas is upon us and I absolutely love this time of year! Everyone is happy and the Christmas spirit allows everyone to be kind towards each other. Working in retail means that I have to work on Christmas Eve but it's one of my highlights. It gets me in the Christmas mood and I also get first look at the Boxing Day bargains which is great as I work in Superdrug! The look I usually go for around this season is wearing more purple and navy colours which this year has been emphasised as I've dyed my hair purple. I needed a change; I had my hair ombre for the best part of a year and I needed something to make me stand out and to boost my confidence again. I've been feeling really self conscious lately and this was exactly what I needed to get myself back to myself again! The reception for it has been positive and I have been more confident so it worked (yay!). Here's what it looks like, let me know what you think! I hope you all have a wonderful Christma