Skip to main content

The girl on the train review!

Hello lovelies! Last week I went to the cinema with some friends and watched the new psychological thriller 'The girl on the train'. This is an adaptation from the book written by Paula Hawkins and stars Emily Blunt as the protagonist Rachel Watson.


We will start with the performance of Emily Blunt. She portrays an alcoholic who suffers with memory loss after drinking too heavily. She tries to piece together the night a woman went missing in order to give her life purpose. I really liked Emily in this role. Usually I am not a fan of her acting, for example in 'The Huntsman- Winter's War' I found her portrayal very stiff and restricting, but in this role she seemed to flourish and embrace the character. She is really haunting at times and throughout the movie the audience are unsure as to whether they should be rooting for this character or be against her which I think is a result of Emily's edgy portrayal.


There are many other supporting characters in this movie but I only want to speak about three of them. The first is that of Tom Watson played by Justin Theroux. I loved Justin's portrayal of this character, with all the twists and turns that this movie takes the audience on, this character remains solid throughout the movie. He has a presence within a scene that commands it and makes it his which fits the role perfectly. I thought his chemistry with all three main female characters in the film was electric and he just gelled really well.


The next character I'd like to talk about is Anna Watson portrayed by Rebecca Ferguson. For me I didn't really feel her connecting with the character until the end of the film. Throughout I felt like the character was a little weak and didn't have the passion I was expecting. Towards the end, no spoilers I promise, Rebecca really hit her stride and brought the character to life. I was speaking to my friend Jess about this and she had read the book prior to watching the movie. She agreed with what I thought of the character and added 'in the book she took pleasure in the fact that she had been the 'other woman' when Tom left the main character for her and then when she finds out Tom is then cheating on her and she no longer is the 'other woman' she becomes angry'. This anger isn't felt in the role on the screen and the portrayal comes across as if she's hurt and kind of shy's away from the fact her husband is cheating on her. But by the end I did like this character.


The last character I want to talk about is Megan Hipwell played by Haley Bennett. I really loved this character. She is a complicated and mentally conflicted character and Haley embraces the role perfectly. As little things about her personality and past are revealed the audience are allowed to see the true Megan and our feelings towards the character change. At the start of the film I passed her off as a typical Hollywood sex appeal character but by the end I felt real empathy and sympathy for this character. I absolutely loved this character.


I had two problems with this film. One is based upon if you like to see gore and blood in movies; the film doesn't show extreme violence and so some of the acts that happen in the movie aren't shown explicitly. So if this is what you are after in movies do not see this film as you will be disappointed.
The other problem that I had is that it took a while for the film to get going and have an real action to it. It must've been between half an hour to an hour before I started to enjoy the movie because of the story build up was too long which is at the fault of the director Tate Taylor. This is the only fault I have with this movie.

Overall I would advise you to go and see this film. It's exciting and it keeps you guessing throughout. I'd give this movie a 9/10

LMR

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blue Story - why the film shouldn't be banned

Blue Story was released on Friday, a movie about teenagers growing up in London and how they are sucked into gang culture. The film, which has been likened to the hit show Top Boy, has now been banned from all Vue cinema's in light of an incident at one of their venues in Birmingham - a decision that I think is ridiculous. Photo from Rapman's Instagram. While the safety of cinema goers is of course integral, the incident in question has not been directly linked to the film. In addition, many of the people involved are not even old enough to watch the rated 15 movie . Police have not mentioned the movie in any of their inquiries and have not recommended a ban - something the media has not shone as much of a light on. The reason this has got under my skin is that after I watched the movie on Sunday the message I took away from it is that the systematic culture of gangs is heartbreaking and unnecessary. At the heart of this film its creator Rapman is trying to say that, whil

Something a bit personal

Hello lovelies! Today I want to speak about something a bit personal to do with my family so if you aren't interested in that kind of stuff I'll give you warning now to leave! About 2 years ago I lost someone in my life who I looked up to and I was so close to. My brother walked out of my life to start a new one with his girlfriend and ever since I've been kind of lost. I didn't realise how much it had affected me until recently which is why I'm posting this. Mine and my brothers relationship was a close one; I'd tell him everything and visa versa. We of course had the odd spat but that's the same with every relationship, isn't it? I never really knew how much I needed him until he was gone, isn't that always the case? He just left and dropped me like he didn't care and I believe that he doesn't care about me or my family. He hasn't spoken to us in 2 and a bit years and to be quite honest I don't think he ever will. Now whenever som

Christmas is here!

Hi all! Christmas is upon us and I absolutely love this time of year! Everyone is happy and the Christmas spirit allows everyone to be kind towards each other. Working in retail means that I have to work on Christmas Eve but it's one of my highlights. It gets me in the Christmas mood and I also get first look at the Boxing Day bargains which is great as I work in Superdrug! The look I usually go for around this season is wearing more purple and navy colours which this year has been emphasised as I've dyed my hair purple. I needed a change; I had my hair ombre for the best part of a year and I needed something to make me stand out and to boost my confidence again. I've been feeling really self conscious lately and this was exactly what I needed to get myself back to myself again! The reception for it has been positive and I have been more confident so it worked (yay!). Here's what it looks like, let me know what you think! I hope you all have a wonderful Christma